Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Little Art Journaling

Hello Bloglandians! Today I have something new to share - an art journal page I made for the Blog-Formerly-Known-as-Simon-Says-Stamp-and-Show challenge. The theme this week was "celebrate". I had to have a bit of a think on this one because the obvious celebration themes - birthdays, graduations, etc... didn't really appeal to me. Then from some dark corner of my brain came the idea of making an art journal page with a theme about celebrating life. So I set out onto the Interwebs to find an inspiring quote. And I found one I liked:




 I liked the idea of splitting this quote into two halves - since it starts out kind of somber but then ends on a happy note - and emphasizing this change in feel with cool tones vs. warm tones across two pages. The backgrounds of both pages were done with Distress Paints. Weathered Wood, Broken China, Salty Ocean, and Chipped Sapphire on one side, and Spun Sugar, Antique Linen, Victorian Velvet and Picked Raspberry on the other. I used a Crafter's Workshop stencil for the starbursts, with Pearl and Gold Adirondack paint dabbers. The birds are from Dylusions stamp sets. I liked the crows on the darker side, because even though they're wearing party hats they still have a bit of an ominous feel, whereas the other birds look so happy and almost seem to be smiling. All of the stamping, including the words, was done with Archival inks in various coordinating colors.

Now for some close-ups:


Please excuse the clips in the corners...this page did not want to lie flat! 




A crow in a party hat...perfectly sensible, yes? =) 
Also you can see the layers of paint, mist and stamping here. 


Happy birdies! 


I love the texture you get from pouncing the paint dabber onto the stencil.  

I think that's all for today. Thanks so much for looking! =)

*~M~*



1 comment:

  1. What a great idea for this week's challenge!! Love the theme of celebrating life and the quote you used is great. The two pages with different colours work so well in illustrating the quote. Thank you so much for celebrating with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to comment. I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement! =)

Followers