Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Using Up Those @ Symbols

Hello Blog Readers! I managed to make another layout today. As far as my LOAD challenge goes, I've made 13 paper layouts...and one digital layout. I'm so new to this digital thing that it feels like cheating to count that layout. =P But I have two more days to get creative before the end of the month so hopefully I can get my total up to 15 and then I will have completed 50% of LOAD! Much better than the last time I tried it, when I only managed to make 8 layouts. (Doh!) I'm looking forward to doing this challenge again in the future. I've also noticed that it's really improved my scrapping - I feel much more motivated, and I'm more comfortable with my process now. So I think, overall, this month has been a success!

Anywho, here's the layout I made today:


I got the sketch for this layout from Shimelle's blog. It's an older Sketch of the Week that can be found here. While at first glance this appears to be just another layout about a cat in a bag, the story on this layout is actually about how I tweeted this silly photo of my cat, and then got some pretty fun responses. I used Instagram to edit the photo, but then I had screen shots of the responses that I also wanted to include. Unfortunately the colors in the photo and the colors in the screen shots were not a match at all and so I wasn't sure how I was going to get them on one layout. Luckily, these Heidi Swapp Memory Files came to the rescue. I got these with my Studio Calico kit this month, and I have to say I had no idea what I would ever do with them.  I figured I would maybe take them apart and use them for photo mats or embellishments or something. Well I did take them apart, but I kept this piece intact so that it could still flip open and closed, so I could hide the screen shots inside! I have to say I felt like a bit of a genius. =P I also reinforced the edge with some tissue tape so it wouldn't fall apart.



Almost everything I used on this layout was from my Studio Calico kit from this month, except for the letter stickers and the wood veneer asterisks (I'm going to be sad when I run out of those. I don't think they're available anymore). The hexagons are this really cool "Mistables" product that SC just came out with. (I think the hexagons are exclusive to the kit, but Two Peas has another cool shape here. You get a LOT in a package - I can't wait to try the other shapes.) The light colored ones were misted with Mr. Huey's, but I wanted a darker one for more contrast. Lo and behold, I had the perfect color sitting on my desk: the new Peacock Feathers Distress Ink! I just tapped the ink pad directly on the hexagon until it was mostly colored. The surface is textured though, so it doesn't get all the way into the fabric, and the edges needed more color. So I sprayed it with some water to get the ink to wick out through the fabric and it worked like a charm. I love Distress Ink. =)



I got the idea for using the @ symbols in my embellishment clusters when I was looking for letters for my title and saw them on a couple of the sheets. After all, where else are you going to use those things except on a page about Twitter?? =P

I hope everyone has a great last week of May, and hopefully wherever you are you're starting to see some more summery weather. Thanks for looking!


*~M~*






1 comment:

  1. I really like this layout with the swoop of embellies across the page. very whimsical! nice colours and I'm all for the hexagons right now

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to comment. I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement! =)

Followers