Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Random Distress Fun

First off, I would like to thank the folks that left such kind comments on my last post. I didn't even expect to have any comments, and it turns out they were waiting here for a while for me to okay them! (Then I found out Blogger will send me an alert e-mail AFTER I okay them....that doesn't make any sense! =P) Anyway, thanks again, it was a very nice surprise. =)

I wasn't doing anything productive today so I thought I would finally take some photos of this canvas I finished last week and post them. I had an 8x8 piece of canvas I had picked up on sale at my local art supply store, and I felt like playing with some of my Distress Inks and Crackle Paints, so I decided to decorate it. Here is the finished product:

 Let me see if I can remember all the supplies I used: Distress Inks (Antique Linen, Pumice Stone, Bundled Sage), Crackle Paint (Milled Lavender, Rock Candy, Picket Fence), Tim's Fanciful Flight die (love it!), JBS Mini Papers (Vintage Cream line), JBS rub-on, Hitch Fasteners, Tim's mini flourish mask, Butterscotch and Pitch Black Alcohol Inks, Grungeboard Minis, brads, vellum, and decorative chalks.

Phew! I think that's it. Here's a close up of the butterfly, so you can really see the crackles:
This panel also shows off how beautifully the Antique Linen Distress aged the already vintage looking Jenni Bowlin papers. I think I'm in love. =) It's hard to see here because it's a little washed out, but the letters were painted with Picket Fence Crackle and then inked over with Bundled Sage Distress, because I really wanted a pale green color (the photo of the flowers is tinted green, and I was trying to keep the color scheme) and Ranger doesn't make Crackle Paint in Bundled Sage. (A crime, if you ask me....it's such a beautiful color!)
This panel shows off two firsts for me: my first time playing with masks, and my first time coloring an image with chalks. I thought it would be cool if the bird's breast kind of popped with a bright red color....and then I liked the effect so much I proceeded to color the blossoms as well. =P
The text here is the Jenni Bowlin rub-on. I actually glued down the paper underneath before I had really decided what I was going to put in this panel. If I had known I was going to do text I probably would have used a less busy pattern....oh well. The vellum was really fun here because I wanted it to have an aged, parchment effect, and it turns out alcohol inks look REALLY COOL on vellum. So I colored it with Butterscotch Alcohol Ink, which matched the Antique Linen almost perfectly. Then I misted it with water and heated it with a heat tool to get it all crinkly and curly. I wish you could see it better in the photo, but I really like the way it turned out.

The last panel is just a photo of some lilies I had in my photo files (I think they were in one of the first bouquets given to me by my boyfriend =)  ) which I tinted slightly green in Photoshop, printed, and then painted over entirely with Rock Candy Crackle Paint. This is the best shot I could get of the crackles.
This piece of art has now found a nice little home on these shelves in my kitchen. I was originally going to hang it from some ribbon tied to the hitch fasteners, but I decided I like this spot better. But the fasteners are there if I ever need to move it. =)

Well, it's currently pouring down rain here, so I hope everyone out in blog land is staying warm and dry, wherever they are!

*~M~*




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to comment. I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement! =)

Followers